What is Abernyte Heating Oil Collective (AHOC), how does it work and what are the benefits of becoming a member?
• Members pay significantly less for their heating oil: achieved from our buying power and the cost savings on transport and admin by our chosen oil supplier. The average user saves over £100 per year.
• Full transparency on current savings for members and our historical savings are available to new applicants.
• Savings on the cost of Propane gas cylinders, and fuel additives.
• Helps the environment by reducing road tanker miles
• More security of supply in extreme weather conditions: remember the winter of 2009/2010!
• Membership is free – we are a not-for-profit organisation run by local volunteers within Abernyte Community Interest Company.
• Established over 12 years ago, AHOC has grown to be a group of over 70 like-minded residents in and around Abernyte who purchase their heating oil and gas cylinders as a group.
• Depending on seasonal weather and member demand, we offer six delivery opportunities each year: mid-October, early December, mid-January, late February, early April and July.
The AHOC buying group achieves significant discounts for its members by providing a local oil supplier with a large annual order: we currently buy over 160,000 litres annually, and the more members we have the stronger we are. We achieve this by enabling suppliers to reduce their distribution and administration costs.
There is currently no surcharge for deliveries between 500 and 999 litres, nor for households with restricted access that require a small 4-wheeled tanker. You only order what you need.
There are currently no charges for membership. You pay the oil supplier directly on terms confidential to you and the supplier. The oil supplier pays for our software licence.
Johnston Oils Ltd in Dundee is our current committed supplier.
AHOC pays an agreed margin per litre to the supplier over the ex-refinery price of Kero (heating oil). This price varies daily according to wholesale prices which are independently published.
Invitations to place an order are sent by email and WhatsApp at least 7 days before the delivery date to members. Orders are placed using our secure online system and the member pays the oil supplier directly.
We only ask for your loyalty for 12 months at a time and a timely response when a group fill is prompted.
Currently, you are eligible to join us if you live north of the A90 between Longforgan and Glendoick and south of Collace. The main settlements we cover are: Lochton, Dunsinane, Littleton, Abernyte, Knapp, Baledgarno, Ballindean, Craigdallie, Kinnaird, Flawcraig, Westown, Rait, Kilspindie, Pitroddie, and Glendoick.
To find out more, register your interest by filling the form below or email