Should you require a fine description of Abernyte, you could rarely better this one taken from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland dated 1884. Recognition is due to THE LIBRARY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES who hold this digitised work.
Abernyte, a hamlet and a parish near the E border of Perthshire. This hamlet stands in a beautiful glen, by
the confluence of two rivulets, one of them anciently called the Nyte ; and is 2 miles NW of its post-village
Inchture, 4 miles NNW of Inchture station, and ll miles ENE of Perth.
The parish is bounded N and NE by Longforgan, SE by Inchture, SW by Kinnaird, W by Collace, and NW
by Cargill. Of irregular shape, it has an extreme length from E to W of 3 miles, a width from N to S of 1mile,
and an area of 2533 acres, of which 10 are water. The surface has a general north-westward rise from the Carse
of Gowrie to the Sidlaw Hills, the Braes of the Carse in the centre of the parish having elevations of 632 and 832
feet above sea-level, while to the W are the slopes of Blacklaw (969 feet), Dunsinane Hill (1012), Black Hill
(1182), and King's Seat (1235), whose summits, however, lie just outside the bounds. The glen, shut in upon three
sides by bold but cultivated ascents, opens south-east-ward to the Carse ; and its united rivulets form in the
low grounds at the head of a deep-wooded ravine a romantic waterfall with 40 feet of almost sheer descent.
The rocks are chiefly sandstone and amygdaloid, containing agates ; and the soil on these lower grounds is
light but fertile, mostly incumbent on gravel, whilst that of the uplands is of poorer quality, and in some
places heathy. Two cairns crowned Glenny Law, on which and on Stockmuir there also stood two small
stone-circles of 7 and 9 stones each. Abernyte House is the principal residence, and 7 landowners hold each
an annual value of upwards of £50. In the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns, the parish
contains an Established church (rebuilt 1736; living, £219), and a Free church for Abernyte and Rait, these
churches standing ^ mile E, and 5 furlongs ESE, of the hamlet. A public school, with accommodation for 93
children, had (1879) an average attendance of 54, and a grant of £41, lis. Valuation (1881) £3011, 9s. Pop.
(1831) 254, (1861) 310, (1871) 253, (1831) 275.— Ord.
Sur., sh. 48, 1S68.
ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND:
A SURVEY OF SCOTTISH TOPOGRAPHY,
FRANCIS H. GROOME,
EDINBURGH: THOMAS C. JACK, GRANGE RUBLISHING WORKS.
LONDON: 45 LUDGATE HILL
GLASGOW: 48 GORDON STREKT.
ABERDEEN: 2G BROAD STREET.